The Asia Group, LLC is accepting applications on a rolling basis for analyst-interns covering Japan to join our Washington, DC office. This role supports the firm’s Japan portfolio across a wide range of sectors, including (but not limited to) technology, media, and telecommunications; financial services; energy; pharmaceuticals and healthcare; and manufacturing.
The Asia Group is a strategic and business advisory firm that positions clients – ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups – for success in established and emerging markets in the Indo-Pacific region. Our team includes a diverse mix of partners, principals, senior advisors and staff possessing decades of government and private sector experience. Our corporate philosophy emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, and entrepreneurialism. Beyond the pursuit of professional success, our leadership team actively embraces the challenges and opportunities associated with growing a highly successful firm, including investing time and energy in mentoring and developing staff.
The Asia Group is looking for highly motivated candidates who ideally either have or are working toward an advanced degree (MA/MBA/JD) in international relations, political science, economics, Asian studies, or a related field. Analyst-interns work closely with partner-led client teams and play a key role in supporting the firm’s research, analysis, and client services. The ideal candidate commands a strong understanding of Japanese politics, economics, and business, as well as broader geopolitical issues in the region.
- Conducting industry, political, and economic research and analysis
- Supporting the drafting of memoranda, reports, and briefing materials
- Tracking regional political developments as well as market and industry trends
- Providing logistical and event support as needed
- Preparing PowerPoint and other presentation materials
- Providing Japanese-language research, drafting, and translation support
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Outstanding research and writing skills
- Demonstrated expertise and interest in business issues and the political economies of Japan and Northeast Asia, as well as the domestic politics and foreign policy of Japan
- Advanced-level fluency in Japanese, with the ability to conduct research independently
- Functional understanding of relevant international and economic U.S. Government departments and agencies and/or relevant public-sector work experience
- Positive, self-starting attitude, and ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Strong attention to detail; ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities
- Fluency in Microsoft applications, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Team player attitude and desire for professional development
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. Employees will work in an in-office working environment, required to come into the DC office a minimum of four days a week (Monday – Thursday). TAG analyst interns are paid on an hourly basis. Full-time analyst interns are offered competitive health benefits and paid time off, with training opportunities available for its employees.
The Asia Group typically hires analysts for a six-month appointment that can be extended through mutual agreement.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, two-page analytical writing sample and list of three professional references (references will not be contacted without applicant permission) via the application portal below.
Alternatively, interested candidates may email the required documents as a single PDF titled “Analyst – Japan – [First & Last Name]”to email@example.com and complete the relevant application forms at https://theasiagroup.com/careers/.
Submit the details below, and our HR team member will get in touch with you shortly.
The Asia Group is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. The Asia Group continually seeks to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the strategic advisory profession.