The Asia Group is now accepting applications for an Associate to join our growing Tokyo office.
The Asia Group (“TAG”) is a strategic and capital advisory firm that positions clients – ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups – for success in established and emerging markets across the Indo-Pacific region. Our diverse team possesses decades of government and private sector experience with a work ethos that emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, entrepreneurialism, and mentorship.
The Asia Group’s Tokyo office is seeking an highly motivated individual to support our thriving Japan practice at the Associate level. This role will involve supporting our Tokyo-based team by carrying out in-depth research and logistical tasks, developing actionable insights, engaging in client services, and producing client-ready updates and research memoranda.
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of the Japanese political system, as well as a strong grasp of business fundamentals and Japan’s complex regulatory environment. They will possess strong communication abilities in both English and Japanese, and will be able to provide concise and nuanced briefings and written product to TAG clients and leadership. Priority will be given to those applicants with demonstrated business, government, and/or research experience in Japan.
- Undertake in-depth research utilizing primary English and Japanese resources;
- Support planning and implementation of client engagements and activities on the ground;
- Produce written updates and assessments on matters which impact key client priorities, including political, economic, and regulatory developments;
- Monitor local print and online media for important developments related to client equities and opportunities for business development; and
- Support TAG’s Country Director with client servicing and office initiatives.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Advanced degree (MA/MBA/JD) or equivalent practical work experience related to Japan
- Demonstrated knowledge of Japanese politics and economics and U.S. relations with Asia, preferably with at least two years of work experience in a client-facing industry, research institute, government, or government relations
- Outstanding research, writing, and analytical skills in both English and Japanese, including ability to communicate professionally with clients
- Attention to details, and strong organization skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint
- Team player with positive and professional attitude; eager for professional development and open to learning
- Self-starter with ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Can-do attitude and willingness to support both critical client matters and simple administrative tasks
- Flexibility with respect to working and communication hours, particularly when coordinating with team members in Washington
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Japan. Employees will work in a mostly in-person environment, with the option to report remotely on Fridays as business allows. TAG provides competitive health benefits and paid time off, with training opportunities available for its employees.
- All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, a two-page analytical writing sample and a list of references (references will not be contacted without applicant permission) via the application portal below. Alternatively, interested candidates may email the required documents as a single PDF titled “[Position of Interest] – [First & Last Name]”to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the relevant application forms at https://theasiagroup.com/careers/.
- Due to the volume of applications received, responses from our recruiting team may be delayed. No phone calls, please.
Submit the details below, and our HR team member will get in touch with you shortly.
The Asia Group is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. The Asia Group continually seeks to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the strategic advisory profession.