February 12, 2020
Analyst - Japan
The Asia Group, LLC is now accepting applications on a rolling basis for an analyst to join our Washington, D.C. office in summer 2020. This analyst will support the firm’s Japan portfolio across a wide range of sectors.
The Asia Group is a strategic and business advisory firm that positions clients, ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups, for success in established and emerging markets in the Asia-Pacific region. Our team includes a diverse mix of partners, principals, senior advisors and staff possessing decades of government and private sector experience. Our corporate philosophy emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, and entrepreneurialism. Our operational culture is fast-paced and demanding yet strives to be flexible and fun. Through our foundation, we give back to our local community in Washington and in the Asia-Pacific. Beyond the pursuit of professional success, our leadership team actively embraces the challenges and opportunities associated with growing a highly successful firm, including investing time and energy in mentoring and developing staff.
The Asia Group is looking for highly motivated candidates who are graduating seniors or master’s degree students in international relations, political science, economics, Asian studies, or a related field. Students in MBA or Law Degree (JD/LLM) programs are also encouraged to apply. Analyst-interns work closely with partner-led client teams and play a key role in supporting the firm’s research, analysis, and product development.
The ideal candidate commands a strong understanding of Japanese politics, economics, and business, as well as broader geopolitical issues in the region.
- Conducting industry, political, and economic research and analysis
- Supporting the drafting of memoranda, reports, and briefing materials
- Tracking regional political developments as well as market and industry trends
- Providing logistical and event support as needed
- Preparing PowerPoint and other presentation materials
- Providing Japanese language support and translation
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Outstanding research and writing skills in English
- Demonstrated expertise and interest in business issues and political economies of Japan and Northeast Asia
- Native or professional-level fluency in Japanese, with the ability to research, write, and translate independently
- Functional understanding of relevant international and economic U.S. Government departments and agencies and/or relevant public sector work experience
- Positive, self-starting attitude, and ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Strong attention to detail; ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities
- Fluency in Microsoft applications, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
- Team player attitude and desire for professional development
Analyst internships at The Asia Group are paid and include health and other benefits. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. For this position, The Asia Group is seeking candidates capable of working 40 hours per week.
The Asia Group typically hires Japan Analysts on a trimester schedule – Fall (September start), Spring (January start), and Summer (June start) – for a four-month appointment that can be extended by an additional four months through mutual agreement. However, applications are accepted throughout the year on a rolling basis and qualified candidates will be contacted off-cycle when there is firm need. If you intend to apply for a specific hiring cycle, please note this in your application.