June 3, 2019
The Asia Group, LLC is now accepting applications for a Japan Associate to join our Washington, DC office.
The Asia Group is a dynamic strategic and capital advisory firm that positions clients, ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups, for success in established and emerging markets across the Asia-Pacific region. Our team includes a diverse mix of partners, principals, senior advisors and staff possessing decades of government, private sector, and military experience. Our corporate philosophy emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, and entrepreneurialism. Our operational culture is fast paced and demanding yet strives to be flexible and fun. Beyond the pursuit of professional success, our leadership actively embraces the challenges and opportunities associated with growing a highly successful firm, including by investing time and energy in mentoring and leading staff.
The Japan Associate will serve as an integral member of The Asia Group’s Northeast Asia practice. A competitive candidate will have a strong foundation working on Japanese political, economic, trade, and security matters. The candidate should have deep, current knowledge of, and the ability to anticipate and assess all facets of Japan’s policy environment, both domestic and international. The position will primarily require support for clients engaged in the Japan market across multiple sectors, including energy, defense, hospitality & tourism, health & human services, and manufacturing. A demonstrated ability to work under pressure, engage clients with poise and clarity, and work collaboratively within TAG are expected. This position may also entail domestic and international travel. This position includes upward growth and promotion potential.
- Conduct thorough and meticulous industry and political research and analysis, and business due diligence;
- Draft executive memos, reports, briefing materials and other written products for external (client) and internal (TAG) consumers related to geopolitical, defense and security trends in Japan and across the Asia Pacific region;
- Track market and industry developments impacting client equities;
- Provide logistical and event support for client engagements in Washington, DC and, as needed, in the region.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- MA/MBA/MPA or equivalent academic/practice experience related to Asia Pacific economic, business, and security issues
- Demonstrated expertise in Japan and U.S. relations with Asia, with up to four years of relevant work experience;
- Working fluency in Japanese
- Outstanding research and writing skills
- Self-starter and ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong attention to detail and excels under tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications and experience with PowerPoint
- Team player with eagerness for professional development
- On-the-ground experience in Japan, including ability to leverage a network of pertinent relationships and understanding of operating in Japanese business and/or policy environments.
- Familiarity with Japanese government ministerial roles and/or U.S. commercial and investment positioning in Japan.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.