August 8, 2022
Vice President - China
The Asia Group is a dynamic strategic advisory firm that positions clients, ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups, for success in established and emerging markets across the Indo-Pacific region. Our team includes a diverse mix of partners and staff possessing decades of government, private sector, and military experience. Our corporate philosophy emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, and entrepreneurialism. Our operational culture is fast paced and demanding yet strives to be flexible and fun. Beyond the pursuit of professional success, our leadership actively embraces the challenges and opportunities associated with growing a highly successful firm, including by investing time and energy in mentoring and leading staff.
We are well positioned for growth and seek a vice president to join our China practice. The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation of China experience and have recently held a mid-level position in business or government that focused on trade and investment policies between the United States and China. In addition, a successful candidate will have a strong command of the political, regulatory, and macroeconomic environments in China, demonstrating the ability to distill these trends into actionable insights and strategic recommendations for commercial stakeholders across a broad range of industries.
The role is based in TAG’s headquarters in Washington, DC and requires some domestic and international travel.
- Assist partners and principals in managing the China practice, including by supporting the continued growth and integration of TAG’s Shanghai Office;
- Manage day-to-day client workstreams, including inter alia development and review of written deliverables, delivering substantive briefings for clients, and fielding and managing client requests as they come in;
- Develop regular, nuanced assessments of relevant political, economic, and regulatory trends in China for broad client consumption;
- Support the firm’s business development objectives, including by identifying/researching potential targets, conducting outreach, and developing proposals; and
- Cultivate and maintain a robust network of relevant stakeholder relationships in Washington, DC and China.
- Advanced degree (e.g., MA, MBA) or equivalent practical experience related to China;
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience;
- Experience in government relations or comparable experience, demonstrating the ability to integrate public policy with corporate strategy;
- Expertise in U.S. trade policy towards China, including an understanding of key stakeholders, policy tools, and engagement mechanisms;
- Deep understanding of Chinese regulatory frameworks and stakeholders;
- Strong communicator, demonstrated by the ability to present in a polished and effective manner to business executives and other senior-level interlocutors;
- Experience managing and leading small teams;
- On-the-ground policy work experience in China (preferred); and
- Proficiency in Mandarin (business proficiency preferred).
Please submit all documents in the following format: “Name (First and Last) – Document Type”