August 5, 2022
Vice President - Southeast Asia
The Asia Group, LLC is now accepting applications for a Vice President to join our Washington, DC office.
The Asia Group is a dynamic strategic and capital advisory firm that positions clients, ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups, for success in established and emerging markets across the Indo-Pacific region. Our team includes a diverse mix of partners and staff possessing decades of government, private sector, and military experience. Our corporate philosophy emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, and entrepreneurialism. Our operational culture is fast paced and demanding yet strives to be flexible and fun. Beyond the pursuit of professional success, our leadership actively embraces the challenges and opportunities associated with growing a highly successful firm, including by investing time and energy in mentoring and leading staff. We are well positioned for growth and seek to identify a candidate to fill a principal or vice president level position with extensive knowledge and experience in Southeast Asia.
The ideal candidate will recently have held at least a mid-level position in government or business with substantive Southeast Asia-policy responsibilities and will possess a strong and multi-faceted track record working on political, economic, technology, trade and/or security matters. Priority will be placed on expertise in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, and/or the Philippines and the candidate should have deep, current knowledge of, and the ability to anticipate and assess all facets of these countries’ policy environment. The position will require support to clients in Southeast Asia across multiple sectors, including technology, manufacturing, hospitality & tourism, energy, and defense. The successful candidate will possess a holistic understanding of the full range of key actors, institutions, and influence centers (in central/local governments, business community, media, NGOs, etc) that drive, shape, and influence policy in these sectors.
- Working closely with the Southeast Asia team lead partner and principal, the successful candidate will:
- Assist in leading and managing support of Southeast Asia focused clients, including through direct engagement and/or internal client teams.
- Manage, mentor, and help lead the day-to-day operation of the Southeast Asia team in Washington, DC, and connectivity with TAG’s Vietnam office.
- Initiate and manage the development of client products to ensure the highest standards of substance and style, including drafting and coordinating across TAG’s country teams where needed.
- Cultivate and maintain a robust network of stakeholder relationships in Southeast Asia and Washington, DC.
- Support partners with advancing business development opportunities, including identifying potential targets, conducting outreach, and developing proposals.
- Help manage relationships with TAG’s in-country advisors and other consultants supporting TAG’s Southeast Asia clients.
- Help develop and implement TAG’s growth strategy in Southeast Asia.
- As necessary and as opportunities present, cross-service clients and projects and support business development outside of Southeast Asia.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Possesses at least 7-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Master’s Degree or comparable professional experience.
- Regional Southeast Asia experience with deep expertise in at least 1-3 Southeast Asian markets, with priority on Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and/or the Philippines.
- Established and commercially relevant professional network in Southeast Asia and Washington, D.C.
- Experience managing and leading small teams.
- Strong communication skills (oral and writing) demonstrated by the ability to present in a crisp, polished, and effective manner to senior officials and business leaders and the ability to write in a clear, direct, concise, and nuanced manner.
- Capable of working in a deeply collaborative team environment yet also able to operate effectively on an independent basis.
- Responsive to a range of partner inputs while also able to generate self-initiated products tailored to client needs.
- Able to thrive and operate in a fast-paced environment, often with short-fused deadlines while ensuring quality control.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please title the PDF “Vice President – Southeast Asia Application – [First & Last Name]”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.