The Asia Group is now accepting applications for an Associate to join our growing Tokyo office.
The Asia Group (“TAG”) is a strategic and business advisory firm that positions clients – ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups – for success in established and emerging markets across the Indo-Pacific region. TAG’s clients cover a broad range of industries, including technology, manufacturing, energy, financial services, hospitality, pharmaceuticals, transportation, and defense. Our diverse team possesses decades of government and private sector experience with a work ethos that emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, entrepreneurialism, and mentorship.
The Asia Group’s Tokyo office is seeking an experienced individual to support our thriving Japan practice at the Associate or Senior Associate level. This role will involve supporting our Tokyo-based team by carrying out in-depth research, developing actionable insights, interfacing with clients, and producing deployment-ready research memoranda.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of the Japanese political system, as well as a strong grasp of business fundamentals and Japan’s complex regulatory environment. They will possess strong communication abilities in both English and Japanese, and will be able to provide clear, concise, and nuanced briefings and written product to TAG clients and leadership. Priority will be given to those applicants with demonstrated experience in government relations and similar fields.
- Support the development and expansion of TAG’s Tokyo office and broader Japan practice;
- Conduct timely and meticulous market, industry, political, and policy research and analysis, utilizing primary English and Japanese-language resources;
- Produce written updates, assessments, and presentations on matters which impact key client priorities, including political, economic, and regulatory developments;
- Monitor local print and online media for important developments related to client equities and opportunities for business development;
- Provide logistical, travel, and event support for client engagements, as well as support for partners and senior staff business travels; and
- Support TAG’s Country Director with client servicing and office expansion initiatives.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Advanced degree (MA/MBA/JD) or equivalent practical experience related to Japanese economic, political, and policy issues and U.S. relations with Asia;
- At least two years of relevant work experience, preferably including in a client-servicing industry, government relations, or government experience;
- Outstanding research, writing, and analytical skills in English and Japanese;
- Full professional fluency in Japanese, including the ability to communicate professionally with clients and public figures;
- Can-do attitude and willingness to provide strong support on both critical client matters and administrative tasks;
- Flexibility with respect to working and communication hours, particularly when coordinating with team members in Washington;
- Self-starter and ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with multiple tight deadlines;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint;
- Team player with positive and professional attitude; and,
- Eager for professional development and open to learning new things.
- On-the-ground experience in Japan, including experience building a network of pertinent relationships; and,
- Experience in government relations or comparable experience demonstrating the ability to address public policy in corporate strategy.
Candidates must have residency status that allows them to work in Japan. TAG provides competitive health benefits and paid time off, with training opportunities available for its employees.
Applications are also accepted throughout the year on a rolling basis, and qualified candidates will be contacted off-cycle when there is firm need.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a two-page analytical writing sample to email@example.com and complete the relevant application forms at https://theasiagroup.com/careers/.
Please submit all documents in the following format: “Name (First and Last) – Document Type”
Submit the details below, and our HR team member will get in touch with you shortly.
The Asia Group is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. The Asia Group continually seeks to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the strategic advisory profession.