The Asia Group, LLC is now accepting applications for a Vice President to join our Washington, DC office.
The Asia Group (TAG) is a leading strategic advisory firm that positions clients – ranging from Fortune 100 multinationals to innovative startups – for success in established and emerging markets across the Indo-Pacific region. Our team includes a diverse mix of partners and staff possessing decades of government, private sector, and military experience. Our corporate philosophy emphasizes teamwork, collegiality, creativity, and entrepreneurialism. Our operational culture is fast paced and demanding, yet flexible and fun. Beyond the pursuit of professional success, leadership is expected to actively embrace the challenges and opportunities associated with growing a highly successful firm, including by investing time and energy in leading and mentoring staff. We are well positioned for continued growth and seek to identify a candidate to fill a vice president level position with extensive mid-level leadership and experience in national defense and security with a focus on Asia.
The Vice President will be an integral member of TAG’s aerospace and defense practice, led by the President and Managing Principal, and will have responsibilities related to client servicing of firms in aerospace, defense, and security industries. A competitive candidate will have a strong foundation and experience in security, military, and defense trends in the Indo-Pacific region, including an understanding of systems, capabilities, and defense industrial landscape, as well as a command of U.S. national security strategy, policy, and decision-making. Excellent research and writing skills are a prerequisite. A demonstrated ability to lead under pressure, engage clients with poise and clarity, and work collaboratively within TAG are expected. This position will also entail domestic and international travel. Title and pay will be commensurate with experience levels.
- Create and support policy-driven strategies that align with clients’ business objectives in the region;
- Provide leadership and management of junior staff, including supervising and contributing to project management, product development, deliverable tracking, and task assignments;
- Supervise and conduct research and draft memoranda and briefing materials for external (client) and internal (TAG) consumers related to defense and security trends across the region and in the United States;
- Manage working to senior-level client relationships and participate in regular client engagements singularly or alongside the President and Principal of the aerospace and defense practice;
- Track market and industry developments impacting client equities;
- Provide all necessary support for client and internal executive travel to the region;
- Contribute to TAG business development (BD) objectives, including identifying potential BD targets, conducting outreach, and developing proposals; and,
- Sustain and grow a diverse network of relationships in Washington, DC, and the Indo-Pacific to ensure knowledge base, analytic capabilities, and expertise remain relevant and textured.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated expertise at OSD, State Department or Joint, Service or INDO-PACOM staff;
- Demonstrated mid-level experience in Indo-Pacific security, military, and defense issues, including systems, platforms, and procurement trends (e.g. a relevant M.A. degree or equivalent practical or military experience);
- Relevant experience in one or more of the following aerospace and defense markets — Korea, Australia, Japan, Taiwan, India, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, preferably with 10+ years of relevant work experience;
- Outstanding research and writing skills;
- Self-starter and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Can-do attitude and willingness to provide leadership and strong support on both critical client matters and internal team efforts;
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) demonstrated by the ability to present in a crisp, polished, and effective manner to senior officials and business leaders and the ability to write in a clear, direct, concise, and nuanced manner;
- Existing and expanding networks in business and government.
- Team player with eagerness for professional development and to provide mentorship
- On-the-ground experience in one of the cited priority countries (see above), including a network of pertinent relationships;
- Proficiency in a relevant foreign language in one of the above priority countries;
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. Employees will work in a hybrid working environment, required to come into the DC office a few times a week. TAG provides competitive health benefits and paid time off, with training opportunities available for its employees.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the relevant application forms at https://theasiagroup.com/careers/.
Please title the PDF “Defense Vice President Application – [First & Last Name]”.
Submit the details below, and our HR team member will get in touch with you shortly.
The Asia Group is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law. The Asia Group continually seeks to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the strategic advisory profession.